CNI is pleased to be a co-sponsor of the upcoming webinar on common spaces, featuring speakers from a wide range of professions. The Learning Spaces Collaboratory (LSC) provides high quality webinars on topics of interest to the CNI constituency. Registration (for a fee) is available via the link below.
Joan Lippincott, CNI
Join us for the January 21st LSC Webinar to explore the role of “common spaces” within the physical ecosystem of a campus, with particular attention to spaces that foster creativity of an individual learner and groups of learners, and at the institutional level.
Contribute to discussions about how to cultivate:
· a deep appreciation of the fabric of a campus intentionally crafted to serve the institutional vision of what students are to become
· a sense of libraries/information commons as ecosystems within themselves and as critical nodes in a larger set of carefully designed interstitial spaces on a campus
· a commitment to spaces that move beyond “common” to become maker spaces (how might we? spaces), creativity studios, discovery centers, living rooms, and more
· an awareness among students, faculty, and other users about their roles and opportunities in inhabiting, navigating, and influencing such an ecosystem.
Share best practices and lessons learned (with photos) from your experience in planning and assessing common spaces.
Webinar facilitators include:
· Meredith Bostwick-Lorenzo Eiroa, Associate Director – Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
· Kent Duffy, Principal – SRG Partnership, Inc.
· Jeanne L. Narum, Principal – Learning Spaces Collaboratory
· Keith Sawyer, Morgan Distinguished Professor in Educational Innovations – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
· Susan Whitmer, Research Lead, Education – Herman Miller
· Joe M. Williams, Director of Public Services, University Library – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
· Cathy M. Wolfe, Director of Campus Planning – George Mason University