Chief Technology Officer, Library
In response to a fragmented digital collections environment developed over many years using many systems, in 2012 the Yale Library launched a project to unify its digital collections within a single software framework using Hydra/Fedora. This session will include discussion of:
- The legacy digital collections environment and why it has to change.
- The decision to go open source with Hydra and Fedora as the underlying technologies.
- Some of our initial projects, from small boutique collections to the Henry Kissinger Papers (1.7 million pages).
- Challenges of scale and security: how do we plan to build a petabyte-sized repository infrastructure and support complex authentication and security requirements?
- Future development plans.