Director, EPOC; Director, International Networks
The Engagement and Performance Operations Center (EPOC) is a production platform for operations, applied training, monitoring, and research and education support. Established in 2018 as a collaborative focal point for operational expertise and analysis, EPOC is jointly led by Indiana University (IU) and the Energy Sciences Network (ESnet). EPOC provides researchers with a holistic set of tools and services needed to debug performance issues and enable reliable and robust data transfers. By considering the full end-to-end data movement pipeline, EPOC is uniquely able to support collaborative science, allowing researchers to make the most effective use of shared data, computing, and storage resources to accelerate the discovery process.
Services and support for researchers provided by EPOC include:
• providing immediate help, or Roadside Assistance, via a coordinated operations center to reactively resolve network performance problems with end-to-end data transfers;
• working proactively with science communities to create better data transfer behaviors, enabling faster data sharing and collaboration through Application Deep Dives;
• using the NetSage monitoring suite for discovery and resolution of network performance issues;
• providing managed data services with support from the IU GlobalNOC and EPOC’s regional network partners;
• continuing training programs pioneered by IU and ESnet to ensure effective use of scientific tools and science support.