CNI Fall 2020
Virtual Membership Meeting
November 10-December 15, 2020
Information about scheduling your webinar was included in your acceptance email; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you did not receive this information. If you were asked to sign up for a time slot, please keep the following in mind:
- There are 2 types of time slots: 30-minute and 60-minute; please be sure to sign up for your ASSIGNED session length, as identified in the original acceptance email.
- All signup times are Eastern Time
- Please sign up by the deadline specified in your acceptance email; joining instructions and additional information will be emailed to you prior to your webinar – contact email@example.com if you have not received instructions 2 days prior to your webinar.
- While attendees will access your presentation via Sched, you will use Zoom to present your session. Download Zoom onto your computer if you do not already have it: https://zoom.us/support/download
- Plan to share/run your slides from your own computer during the webinar. If you would like to arrange a practice session, contact Beth Secrist (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 3 days prior to your presentation.
- Leave time for questions/discussion (at least 10 minutes for 30-minute sessions; about 15 minutes for 60-minute sessions).
Audience Engagement & Focus:
- Attendees have told us that, in a virtual environment, shorter presentations are preferable, focused on the topic, and without a lot of background information.
- It’s best to use a natural, conversational style which better holds the audience’s attention; if possible, try not to read your presentation.
- Breaking up your talk with audience interactions can be very effective for keeping attendees engaged. Polls can be a good way to do this (if you want to use a poll please be in touch with us in advance), and the chat feature can be an effective way to promote interaction, particularly if prompted and encouraged by presenters.
- The better your network connection the better your presentation will go. Use a wired connection if possible.
- Log in 15 minutes prior to your scheduled webinar time to double-check that everything is running as it should be.
- A CNI staff member will serve as your webinar “host” to provide support. The host will welcome attendees, provide some instructions, and introduce the speaker(s).
- We will use the Q&A tool to manage questions. The host will moderate Q&A.
- You have the option of accepting questions during your presentation or reserving all questions for after. The Q&A tool allows attendees to submit written questions (with the option of remaining anonymous). Attendees will be muted with cameras off. Attendees can (virtually) raise their hands. Time permitting, we may unmute attendees and invite them to pose questions or make comments – the CNI host will manage this process. Chat will also be available for panelists to communicate with the host, other panelists, and attendees. Registrants may use chat to communicate directly with panelists or with other attendees.
Please be sure to share your slides with us so we can add them to your project briefing page:
Pre-recorded videos are often of new or ongoing projects, programs, or organizations that may have reported at CNI in the past. Meeting organizers may also request a prerecorded presentation when scheduling limitations preclude our ability to accommodate all proposals we wish to include in the program. If you have been asked to submit a video, please follow these guidelines:
- Short update videos should be about 10-15 minutes in length; some videos may be longer if needed.
- We strongly recommend that you use an external microphone for better sound quality.
- Include contact information for follow-up inquiries.
- Preferred formats are MP4 or MOV
- Submit your video in time for the week to which you were assigned (this information was included in the proposal acceptance email you received). Deadlines for completed video submissions are as follows:
- Share your completed video with us here: https://www.dropbox.com/request/64WZ6ovpvCChIXoTjUun
Please contact us with questions, and thank you for participating in CNI’s Fall 2020 Virtual Membership Meeting!
Code of Conduct
CNI is committed to maintaining a welcoming and inclusive environment for inquiry, constructive disagreement, and intellectual freedom and honesty. We do not tolerate personal attacks, harassment of any kind, violence, or disruptive behavior. Please be respectful of our community’s diversity and generous of others’ views. If you have concerns, please contact a member of the CNI staff.